Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

Today's the day we all think about our mothers, give them a gift, send flowers, write a card, or make a phone call. We thank them for all they've done for us and all the ways they've sacrificed, loved, cared, and nurtured us throughout our lives. And so we should. Mother's Day is a great thing and very worthy of celebration, but why should it only be once a year? Shouldn't we express our love and gratitude every single day? Mothers can never receive too much love, too many words of encouragement, too many hugs, too many signs that we care; at least mine can't. So many moms give and give, pouring themselves into the lives of their children and families, every day of their motherhood, but is seems that too many moms go unappreciated, under valued, or unnoticed (excepting on Mother's Day when it'd be nearly sacrilegious not to send something). Moms are such an amazing blessing from the Lord and I am so thankful to have been placed in this family with this mom. She is an amazing woman and I'm blessed not only to call her Mama, but also friend, mentor, confidant, and kindred spirt. =) Here's to the best mom I could ask for. I love you Mama.

This morning Caity and Mark made breakfast for Mom. They made french toast, candied bacon, eggs, and a delicious berry smoothie. For lunch Caity and I made grilled chicken salads (our favorite grill master grilled the chicken (thanks Daddy)).

Quotes:
"Mothers hold their children's hands for a short while, but their hearts forever." ~Author Unknown

"A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest." ~Irish Proverb

"Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children." ~Sam Levenson

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away." ~Dinah Craik

"Mom, the most important things I know about life, I understand because of you. Because you always encouraged me, even when I wanted to give up, I learned that no matter the result, the real victory was believing in myself. Because you were never too busy to listen and wanted to know more, I learned exactly what it means to be there for someone, and just how much that matters. Because you've given me one special memory after another, I trust in what the future has in store, and enjoy every present moment for the gift that it is. I have so much to be grateful for, so much to appreciate, and so many reasons to be happy. And it's because of you." Mother's Day Card

1 comment:

ruth@gracelaced said...

You do have an admirable and inspiring Mum. I'm glad you all had such a lovely day.