Friday, January 15, 2010

marginalia

exculpate- show or declare that someone is not guilty of wrongdoing

torpor- a state of physical or mental inactivity; lethargy

***
"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives." -Leo Tolstoy

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you man 'very;' otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite." -C.S. Lewis

"The best book is not the thought which it contains, but the thought which it suggests; just as the charm of music dwells not in the tones but in the echos of our hearts." -Oliver Wendell Holmes

"To live for a time close to great minds is the best kind of education." -John Buchan

2 comments:

Camilla said...

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary, Caity! And I love the CS Lewis quote. By the way, great picture of Mark and Russell. That was taken at the swim meet last weekend, wasn't it? 'Cause I can see one of my teammates in the background. :-P

caitygirl said...

yes, Camilla, this pic was a self-portrait by Mark at the swim meet last weekend. I'm glad you like my post, it's fun collecting all the vocab and quotes that I find to share. =) good luck in the morning