Monday, October 20, 2008

This summer I read In My Father's House, selected and edited by Tamara S. and Naomi Joy Valine. I found it to be remarkably inspirational and encouraged me greatly. I definitely recommend that you ladies (it's a Godly Womanhood book) read it! Subsequently I have referred to many passages and quotes from the book. I want to share the "Rules to Becoming a Beautiful and Pleasant and Godly Young Woman."

1. Learn to govern yourselves and to be gentle and patient.

2. Guard your tempers, especially in seasons of ill-health, irritation, and trouble, and soften them by prayers and a sense of your own short comings and errors.

3. Never speak or act in anger until you have prayed over your words or acts and conclude that Christ would have done so in your place.

4. Remember that, valuable as is the gift of speech, silence is often more valuable.

5. Do not expect too much from others, but forbear and forgive as you desire forbearance and forgiveness yourself.

6. Never retort a sharp or angry word. It is the second word that makes the quarrel.

7. Beware of the first disagreement.

8. Learn to speak in a gentle tone of voice.

9. Learn to say kind and pleasant things whenever opportunity offers.

10. Study the characters of each and sympathize with all in their troubles, however small.

11. Do not neglect little things if they can affect the comfort of the others in the smallest degree.

12. Avoid moods and pets and fits of sulkiness.

13. Learn to deny yourself and prefer others.

14. Beware of meddlers and tale-bearers.

15. Never charge a bad motive if a good one is conceivable.

16. Be gentle and firm with children.

Ah, imagine if these rules were followed in our homes; what a delightful place to dwell. At least they are something to strive for. I hope these steps have been as encouraging to you as they are to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Caity,
Thanks for the encouraging post. Even though I'm not a "young" lady, I'll be adding this to my book list. I look forward to learning from it and sharing it with my daughters.
Love,
Queen Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, ouch. Those are good! Thanks for sharing them.
Rebecca