Friday, May 22, 2009

marginalia

I will praise You, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your Marvelous works. I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.
Psalm 9:1-2

"On the day of judgement, surely, we shall not be asked what we have read, but what we have done; not how well we have spoken, but how well we have lived." -Thomas á Kempis from his book The Imitation of Christ

imprecation- a spoken curse

salubrious- health-giving

tonsure- a part of a monk's or priest's head left bare on top by shaving off the hair

avaricious- having or showing an extreme greed for wealth of material gain

concatenation- a series of interconnected things or events

innocuous- not harmful or offensive

spume- froth or foam, especially that found on waves

machinate- engage in plots and intrigues

No comments: